Common Household Fire Hazards | Orange County Environmental Remediation

As Fall approaches and temperatures decline, people begin to retreat indoors. It is during this time that household fires increase. We at Tri Span Environmental, located in Orange County, California, would like to provide you with safety tips to avoid the most common sources of household fire hazards.

Cooking

Never leave food unattended on top of the stove. Overheated grease causes over 50 percent of house fires.

  • Smother grease fires with a lid that covers the pan. Shut the burner off, and never use water to attempt to put out a grease fire.
  • Allow oven fires to burn out. Shut the oven off and do not open the door.

Candles

Unattended candles are responsible for millions of dollars in damage, serious injury, and death.

  • Do not place candles near flammable furnishings such as curtains or bedding.
  • Never leave a candle burning overnight, or in an unattended room.
  • Do not place lit candles in a child’s room, or within reach of a child.
  • Avoid placing candles where they can be accidentally knocked over by a pet.

Christmas Trees and Lights

Christmas trees and lights are a common source of house fires during the holidays. Real trees dry out and can easily ignite from the heat of the lights, and from faulty wiring.

  • Water a real tree several times a week.
  • Check Christmas lights for shorts or bare wires.
  • Keep trees away from wood burning stoves and fireplaces.
  • Do not place lighted candles on trees.
  • Always turn off the lights before going to bed or leaving the house.

Children

Young children with access to fire sources cause over 7000 household fires a year.

  • Never leave fire sources within reach or readily accessible to children.
  • Teach children fire safety and the dangers of playing with fire.
Tri Span Environmental cares about its communities. We are always available to provide inspections for potential fire hazards. Let us help you stay safe this upcoming holiday season.
The Dangers behind Lead Paint
Is Asbestos Still a Danger in Your Home or Business?